Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Drama comes in all forms

I still have “drama”. Steve has been going through some pretty traumatic issues….His tooth is loose. This is his second tooth. The first one he lost was really easy. One day he said “mom, my tooth is loose”. A couple of hours later he said “mom, look my tooth fell out”. The second tooth has not been as easy.

His tooth has been loose for a couple of weeks now. Now it is barely holding on. He is so dramatic about it that a person would think he was about to loose a limb.

Last night it was time for a bath and this is the conversation we had.

Steve – “Mom, what if my tooth falls and goes down the drain”
Me- “That wont happen”
Steve – “But what if it does, what about the tooth fairy”
Me – “We can write her a note and she will leave you something”
Steve – “She will, how will she know?”
Me – “She knows when all kids loose their teeth, its magic”
Me – “Ok Steve its time to get into the bath”
Steve – “Mom, but still, what if she doesn’t”
Me – “She will, just jump in and get it done real quick”

We finally got through that bath and he went to bed saying he was going to wiggle his tooth until it fell out.

This morning we continue the tooth drama.

Steve – “Mom, my tooth really hurts”
Me – “Well, let’s just pull it out”
Steve (screaming now) “NO, It WILL HURT”
Me – “Ok well it might hurt a little but then it won’t hurt anymore”
Steve – “Mom, but still, you don’t want me to be hurt do you?”

He tried to eat his breakfast and when that was just way too painful, he tried to eat a go-gourt, that too was too painful. He made it past that event and it was then time to brush his teeth.

Steve – “Mom, I don’t think can brush my teeth”
Me – “Why would that be”
Steve – “It hurts my tooth and what if it falls out and goes down the drain”
Me – “We will leave the note like we talked about last night”
Steve – “Mom, but still I want the tooth fairy to have my tooth”
Me – “Well I am sure with her magic she can get it if goes down the drain”
Steve (very distraught) – “But mom she wont be able to get it because it will be to the ocean by the time she comes to get it, then how would she be able to get it”

Gee I did not think about that

Another day has passed and he is in bed again and he still has his tooth.

Why does childhood drama always happen at bed time and when your trying to get out the door?

5 Comments:

Blogger Crystal said...

my dad would tell me, 'the next time you whine about that loose tooth, i am going to tie one end of string to your tooth and the other to my bumper and drive away!'

i totally shut up after that.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

what kids worries about is so illogical sometimes. they'll pooh-pooh real dangers, but get their shorts in a wad about stuff that would never happen in a million years, and if it did wouldn't matter anyway... :-)

5:06 PM  
Blogger Alan said...

As a wee lad I found out that Tootsie-Rolls are good way to get rid of a loose tooth. Bite into a Tootsie-Roll with a loose tooth and you know it's going to come out!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If my memory serves me right, the Tooth Fairy finds a lost tooth wherever it may land and compensates the child who lost it adequately.

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because you are trying to get out the door!

Jeez, you really have to think about all avenues when telling white lies to your children, don't you?!

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home