Monday, July 10, 2006

Is it just me?

I am wondering what some other opinions are about this....so far everyone I have talked to agrees with me... but then I have not talked to the direct party as of yet...only in an email response.

I have a large extended family and we are all very close. Next month we are all going to Idaho and renting a "house" on a lake for a week long vacation. We are all going in on it and sharing in the cost. I guess you could say that there are 6 families going.

The families are defined as...
1. Myself and Steve
2. Rachel (my sister)
3. Trevor (my brother)
4. The Smiths (family of 3 including 2 adults and 1 school age child)
5. The Johnsons (family of 5 including two adults, 2 school age kids, 1 baby)
6. The Petersons (family of 4 including two adults, 2 teenages)

I got the email today letting us know what the costs were and notifying us that the money needs to be paid by the first of the month.

From: Mrs Johnson
I need to collect $460 each from the Smiths, Petersons and Kylee. Kylee I think we told Rachel and Trevor that they were to pay $100 each. I need to pay the balance by the 1st.


MMMMM does that seem extreme to anyone else? I was moody at the time of the email and said ok but that I will have to skip the next family vacation. Myself and Steve can not afford to pay equal amounts to the other families. I have full time daycare costs and receive no support. I was very moody...but I think the fair way to do this is to either pay equally per adult or pay equally per head not counting the baby. But maybe I am not thinking about this realistically.


I already talked to Rachel and we agreed that if Trevor agrees we will combine our total amount and split it 4 ways. I think that is fair for us anyway. I really kind of don't like to stick up for myself and I don't think I did it correctly here...but I said something instead of just taking what I thought was not really fair.

What do you think? How would you handle it?

Thanks

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Very kind of Trevor and Rachel to do that. However, it really shouldn't have come to that. You should be also paying the $100 like your brother and sister. Blind freddie can see you are being unfairly treated.
If you can afford to split 4 ways, then do so....and make sure Mrs Johnson knows!!! Otherwise, i'd pull out, that is just ridiculous, but i think you already know that!

10:47 PM  
Blogger JD's Rose said...

Ummm, I don't think that you have to be a mathmatician to figure out that that does not make sense... Why don't you suggest that they get the total cost, divide it by how ever many people are going and work out what each family should pay? A family of 5 should not pay the same amount as a family of 2! Be honest, tell them you can't afford it. What are they going to do? Tell you to stay at home and cover the cost themselves? I think not.

Good Luck!

1:19 AM  
Anonymous lawbrat said...

Well, unless you're getting the master suite with a private deck and hot tub, plus your own private pool- then i'm with Michelle and Rose.

Divided per person sounds like a very fair idea; how its divided now is NOT.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Malika said...

Crazy, I think it should be spread out equally. How hard is it to figure out the total amount of the bill divided by the amount of people going. I think that is a more fair way to determine the cost. good luck!

7:05 AM  
Blogger bryan torre said...

how handy for the johnsons that a family of 5 pays the same as a family of 2...

i say if rachel and trevor are adults, they ought to be paying more.
seems fair to set a certain price per adult, a lower price per kid, and divide it up that way.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home